Re: Messages from starting services while booting

On 2014-09-25 13:04 +0200, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

> I am using Wheezy, and on some machines I see messages from starting
> services while booting, and on some machines I don't see them.
>
> Can somebody explain me how this works? I have the idea that I don't see
> messages on fast machines.

Are you sure about that?  They should be visible for some time, although
that period can be rather short if you boot from an SSD.

> And can I control this?  On some servers I like to see the messages from
> the services when the machine boots.

The behavior of getty(8) has changed (IIRC since util-linux 2.20), it
now clears the terminal by default which means that the boot messages
disappear as soon as you see the login prompt.  To change that, edit
/etc/inittab and start getty with the --noclear option on tty1.

Cheers,
       Sven