Re: Systemd, systemd, and more systemd ...

On Sun 21 Sep 2014 at 09:47:32 -0400, David L. Craig wrote:

> On 14Sep21:1604+0300, David Baron wrote:
> >
> > And if a
> > boot command "init=/lib/sysvinit/init" will definitely yield a fallback (have
> > it in my lilo.conf but have not actually needed to tried it), then maybe this
> > can be laid to rest.
>
> Well, do your due dilligence.  On my primary Sid system,

He did. it was the epitomy of "due dilligence". It is clear from the portion of
the paragraph you snipped that he was talking about systemd:

 > > Aside from that, systemd works great, is lightening-fast, had no problems with
 > > it! So why all the fuss. If posting on Sid would mean despite the expected
 > > bugs, the thing will work and not cripple the upgrader (maybe too ambitious
 > > for unstable maintenance), then no problem going ahead with this.

An upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie will, by default, install systemd-sysv
and a new sysvinit package. /lib/sysvinit/init is in the sysvinit
package. In the very unlikely event the system will not boot after the
upgrade /lib/sysvinit/init can be used instead of /sbin/init.

> # dpkg -S /lib/sysvinit/init
> sysvinit: /lib/sysvinit/init
> # dpkg -S /sbin/init
> sysvinit-core: /sbin/init
> # cmp /lib/sysvinit/init /sbin/init

You didn't accept an upgrade to the new default init system. But you
accepted the new sysvinit package.