Re: corrupted grub in wheezy

On Sat 20 Sep 2014 at 10:38:07 -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Sep 2014, roberto wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> > >
> > > Now you are in do:
> > >
> > >    grub-install /dev/sda
> > >    update-grub
> > >

> > I did as above, no error reported and still no solution at all.
> > When I reboot, I get the grub prompt again...
>
> You probably need
>
> grub-install --recheck /dev/sda;
> update-grub;
>
> instead of just a normal grub-install. [If bios device ordering changes,
> grub sometimes will try to load the wrong device.]

I know that roberto is on Wheezy but, as a point of interest for anyone
reading this thread in the future, grub-install(8) has

   --recheck
          probe a device map even if it already exists

in Wheezy, but

   --recheck
          delete device map if it already exists

in unstable (grub 2.02 beta2-11).

I don't think a device map has much significance nowadays.