Re: Upgrading to Jessie

On 09/18/2014 09:30 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 09/18/2014 11:50 AM, Haines Brown wrote:
I normally
reinstall the operating system on a refreshed HD with a Debian Installer
each time there is an upgrade.

+1

Then I copy over my custom directories
(such as /usr/local/share)

Assuming /usr/local/share is pure user data, +1.

and copy the configurations in /home/ and
/etc/.

I'm running a SOHO network and don't have much to configure.  I keep
/etc/hosts, ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile, and ~/.vimrc in CVS, and back
up/ restore my e-mail, address book, and bookmarks.  For most everything
else, I start with the defaults and adjust manually as needed.

I always keep a rather large /opt directory on it's own partition. There I keep all the personal stuff that has nothing to do with the install of the / directory/partition. All of the usual user directories, such as Documents, Downloads, Music, Videos and the rest are just links to the directories in /opt/<username>/ Same with .thunderbird and .mozilla. The reason for leaving /home as part of the / (root) filesystem is that I don't WANT old and busted config files carrying over to a fresh install. So, I format / and install fresh, mount /opt, recreate the links and within minutes all back to normal. I've done this since the days of Caldera. It's fairly painless. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256