Re: Upgrading to Jessie

I'm not sure what you mean by "it was also hooked up to wheezy updates". Keeping both sets of repositories would be useful if a package you require was dropped from the current "testing" and even then you might be better off compiling it for your current system. If the wheezy package has dependencies, and most do, then it could fail at any time.

I have just installed from a weekly testing DVD.  The installation process (not me) created the following sources.list file:

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Jessie_ - Official Snapshot amd64 DVD Bin
ary-1 20140908-06:10]/ jessie contrib main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Jessie_ - Official Snapshot amd64 DVD Binar
y-1 20140908-06:10]/ jessie contrib main

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ jessie main
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ jessie main

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib

# jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib

# jessie-backports, previously on backports.debian.org
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main contrib
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main contrib

Are you saying that this sources.list file created in the installation process if I continue with it unchanged will result in my new installation becoming Debian stable (the new stable being Jessie as it is updated), and, that if I want to be "testing" permanently, then this default sources.list file would need to be edited and would have entries pointing to the testing repositories and security updates (would they be testing ones or the Jessie ones?) pasted into it, and, the jessie-updates entry the jessie main entry and the backports stuff should all be removed and you would end up with this:

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

and nothing else in the sources.list file?

I used the debian source.list generator web site (http://debgen.simplylinux.ch/) to generate the above two entries.

I did it by choosing the option for testing, (GB as country for the mirror), main, contrib, non free, security and the 64 bit option.

It has the option to request the source files and updates as well.

When I tried to upgrade to Jessie testing myself I used the debian source generator to make the sources.list file the last time I tried to fix the system before I gave up and reinstalled.

When I did it, I did it as above but I also checked the updates option.

So the jessie updates entry was also added to the sources.list file.

I think that could well have been my undoing.

I need to read up on what backports do a bit.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

Regards

Michael Fothergill