Re: /etc/network/interface file auto reset.

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:56:14 +0300
softwatt <softwatt@gmx.com> wrote:

> But that is not risk-free. What if the thing that's overwriting the file
> on startup dislikes not being able to write to the file and crashes?

Look at it from the different angle -
overwriting /etc/network/interfaces is wrong, no sensible process
related to the boot should do it. Hence in the case of the process crash
it's trivial to locate and purge such process.

Which lead me to another point - crashing due to inability to overwrite
some file is a terrible programming practice. Such errors should be
catched and dealt with gracefully. Using a process with such code
quality in a boot sequence is obviously wrong.

I agree that there're scenarios that could lead to the unbootable
system in such circumstances. Therefore an access to the console is
crucial. But, since OP already loses network connectivity due to the
nature of the problem and can fix it by hand - OP has an access to the
console anyway.

Besides, a simple overwriting /etc/network/interfaces from
the /etc/rc.local won't do any good by itself, as the network is
configured at that time already, and it's configured wrong way. An
additional sequence of 'ifdown br0; pkill dhcp; ifup br0' is needed at
least.

Reco