No wireless support for RTL8192EE

I recently bought a Lenovo Thinkpad T440P. The wireless driver did work
out of the box. It was not even recognized by the system. A quick search
revealed I am not the only one with the issue. I later learned that the
Wireless adapter requires a driver called RTL8192EE, which is not
supported by Linux.

I then downloaded some driver file off the net, which I can't find now,
and the network adapter worked. But it was too slow to be useful, and it
disconnected far too often.

After a while, I stumbled across this post:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1239578
The thing that caught my eye is this particular comment:

> I was unable to get the latest Realtek drivers into a form for
> submission to the kernel in time to make kernel 3.17. As a result, I
> created a git repo at http://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git. I
> have no idea if it will work for youm but it is the latest code,'
Source:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1239578/comments/156

So, I cloned the repo, compiled and installed.
Now, network-manager does detect the adapter, but it says "device not
managed". If i run `iwconfig` in a terminal, the device appears as
"managed". The device is not detected by `ifconfig`.

Here's where the mystery gets really interesting: If I run aircrack-ng
and use that adapter, it works! Packet injection works perfectly, packet
sniffing is very unreliable, I'd say 95% of the packets are lost.

Any idea how to resolve this? I want it to work normally.
Thanks in advance.