Re: speeding up sysvinit boot on Jessie

On Tue 16 Sep 2014 at 13:56:15 -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:

> I set up a Jessie VM (kvm: 1 cpu, 512MB RAM, qemu2 filesystem)
> to take a look at what is coming down the road.

I did the same as you but used a real machine. You didn't bother to say
what you installed so I haven't either.

> The default install with systemd as init boots very quickly.

It does. doesn't it? It also confirms that a Jessie install is reliable.

> When I changed to sysvinit, boot times ended up around 32
> seconds, and sometimes 47.

We suppose you used the standard way to change to sysvinit; you do not
say. I've never seen any significant change in the time to boot.

> Most of this time seemed to be taken up by udev. By default,
> it has no configuration for logging.
>
> Changing /etc/udev/udev.conf to log errors:
> udev_log="err"
>
> and updating the initramfs:
> update-initramfs -k all -u
>
> gives sysvinit a boot time of 1.42 seconds.
>

> jessietest:/home/dsr# pstree
> init─┬─acpid
>      ├─atd
>      ├─chef-client───{ruby-timer-thr}
>      ├─cron
>      ├─exim4
>      ├─6*[getty]
>      ├─rpc.idmapd
>      ├─rpc.statd
>      ├─rpcbind
>      ├─rsyslogd─┬─{in:imklog}
>      │          ├─{in:imuxsock}
>      │          └─{rs:main Q:Reg}
>      ├─sshd───sshd───sshd───bash───sudo───bash───pstree
>      └─udevd
>
> That might be helpful.

It's probably as helpful as the other thread you started and didn't
contribute to:

  [🔎] 20140901172609.GA20528@randomstring.org">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 20140901172609.GA20528@randomstring.org