Re: trying to remove wicd

On 15/09/14 11:37 PM, tom arnall wrote:
I want to get wicd off my system, but am having a problem. All the
installer utilities say that it's not installed, but 'which' and other
things tell a different story:

root@debian:~# which wicd
/usr/sbin/wicd
root@debian:~#

Also, in spite of the installer messages, there are lots of
wicd-related files in the system:

tom$ locate
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/wicd.conf
/etc/default/wicd
/etc/init.d/wicd
/etc/rc0.d/K01wicd
/etc/rc1.d/K01wicd
/etc/rc2.d/S18wicd
/etc/rc3.d/S18wicd
/etc/rc4.d/S18wicd
/etc/rc5.d/S18wicd
/etc/rc6.d/K01wicd

And on and on for about 300 lines of file names

When I do wicd or wicd-client as root, the stuff runs (and does
nothing but give error messages). wicd is unknown to non-root users:

Here is the apt-get message:

root@debian:~#/home/tom/system/wireless# apt-get purge wicd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'wicd' is not installed, so not removed       !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
root@debian:~#/home/tom/system/wireless#

Likewise with aptitude and dpkg.

How do I get rid of the stuff?

My goal is to do wireless connection using the command line, but I
want the wicd stuff off the system before I try to do it.

What the message is telling is that there is no package installed called wicd. You need to find out (try searching packages.debian.org) which package wicd is part of.