disabled login prompt problem

Dear Debian folks,

I am running Debian Testing on an AMD64 box.

I was trying to update it with new packages and got dependency problems.

I got as far as choosing this PAM option from a list but could not find the list at the terminal and eventually had to shutdown and reboot.

When I did this I got a login prompt that doesn't ask for a password.

I am a bit stuck here.

I have a weekly build of Debian Testing DVD #1 I burned at the weekend.

I am trying to get the OS reading from the DVD again.

Suggestions welcome here.

Regards

Michael Fothergill