Re: server backup

On 15.09.2014 09:44, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 11:56:35AM -0600, Glenn English wrote:
>> What do you server admins use for backup?

I use duply for data backups. Pros:
- push backups via ssh
- encrypted with gpg key1
- signed with gpg key2
- built in file checksumming

my scenario: running several servers in a data center and a central
backup storage. My backups should still be secure if one of those gets
hacked. because of the gpg encryption, I can crypt backups with the
public part of key1, but I can save the private part for encryption
offline on a paper/usb stick in a safe (this works for my private and my
professional stuff at work).

> Personally (not professionally), I only back up user data, and
> use a puppet recipe to configure my servers, so that if I need
> to restore them I can do so by running the puppet script on a
> pristine Debian install.

same here, using puppet to configure the hole maschine.