Re: Sound and Vision - Problems with my computer speakers and video drivers

On 09/13/2014 11:35 AM, Paul Anzel wrote:
Hello everyone,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYEOlxcirX0

I'm having two technical issues trying to get Debian (Jessie) set up
running on my Lenovo T430 laptop, and I wanted to ask if someone would
be able to help me out with either.

1. I'd like to upgrade my video drivers (for playing some games on
Steam). I've got an NVIDIA GF108M (NVS 5400M) and tried to run
# aptitude install lib-gl1-nvidia-glx:i386
(Having previously set up i386 architecture)
And, after restarting my computer, my OS would not load. I ended up
reformatting and reinstalling everything. Needless to say (but said
anyway), I'm a little gun-shy about trying that again. Is there a better
way to try and update my video drivers?

2. As part of the whole reformat and reinstall, my computer is no longer
playing anything on its embedded speakers. The headphone jack works just
fine, it's just the embedded speakers. This was also a problem when I
installed (from CD) to Wheezy.

Looking at documentation online, there seems to be a lot of reference to
ALSA, but AFAIK that seems to have been depreciated for Jessie (and the
alsa_base.conf file is not present in /etc/modprobe.d/). Does anyone
have any recommendations?

Thank you for your help,
Paul

You didn't get into the computer speakers, but I recommend one of
two solutions for computer speakers: the best is to find some good
hi-fi speakers--ones made for record/cd playing in a living room--
and an amplifier or receiver, and push your computer sound thru that.
The next best thing, but quite a ways down the list, is a Logitech
setup. The Logitech system consists of a sub-woofer that you put
under your table or desk, and two satellite speakers that can sit
on the computer table or hang on the wall. This system sounds
quite good, altho IO found that the bass is exagerated it you pur
the sub-woofer up against the  wall. I wound up putting an octave-
band equalizer between the computer and the Logitech system.
Those little amplified speakers that sell for almost nothing are pure
junk. If you have any, throw them out!

BTW: Yard sales/garage sales always seem to have hi-fi amps
and receivers for practically nothing, but it's tough to find decent
hi-fi speakers. If you do find speaker cabinets, take off the front
grille and see that the surround on the main speaker is not torn up.
If it is, don't buy it!

Personally, I'm not a fan of "bookshelf" speakers. I like to see a
cabinet about 14" wide by 12" deep by 2 feet high, or thereabouts.

--doug