Re: terminal doesn't come up in Jessie Beta-1?

On 9/8/14, Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com> wrote:

> From what I read (I'm not an expert, so I may be wrong),
> gnome-terminal called gdbus that called dbus, asking it to
> spawn a child of itself but this child (?) exited with a status of 8.
>
> From this error, I found what you should have found with a bit
> of personal research:

Throwing this out there because I had a "similarly different"
experience while following this thread. Mine is solved. I was lurking
along with you all and saw Bzzzz mention GDBus. Every time I rebooted
recently, have been getting this:

"error GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An
authentication agent already exists for the given subject"

YES, *unrelated* but my ears perked at Bzzzz's mention of GDBus. You
never know so I followed the links offered, thought on it then
upgraded what /var/log/apt/history.log shows is:

libvte-common libvte9 libvte-2.90-common libvte-2.90-9

I figured what could it hurt since it's an upgrade that needs done
anyway, right? WRONG. Gnome-terminal that was working previously in my
case.... was no longer accessible. Became very similar to as described
in this thread but no locale related error.

None of the alternative ways of launching worked. Error message I got
when trying to launch via xterm was:

gnome-terminal: symbol lookup error: gnome-terminal: undefined symbol:
vte_terminal_set_alternate_screen_scroll

Received that error in two different places, for those liking alternatives:

* Was the above output from attempting to launch gnome-terminal in xterm
* Tripped over it in ~/home/<user>/.xsession-errors while following
along with the "Query about .xsession-errors file" Debian-User thread

Couldn't stand not being able to copy and paste (xterm wasn't
responding to various methods) so I researched the error message.
Ended up upgrading/installing more based on other users' success and
suggestions ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1894439 ):

gir1.2-vte-2.90 libglib2.0-data libvte-2.90-9 libvte-2.90-common (yes,
2 are duplicates that were previously handled)

Still nothing then I FINALLY got the bright idea to upgrade
gnome-terminal. CTRL+ALT+T and... IT WORKS!

Again, went ahead and wrote this up because maybe somehow those
package mentions MIGHT help someone else finding their own
gnome-terminal suddenly not responding to  various launch methods.

Having fixed mine now, I keep thinking on it. It was just a matter of
timing that I was "playing along" with you all, and that's what caused
mine to fail. Chances are decent it still would have malfunctioned
soon as I slowly upgrade this latest install.. And .xsessions-errors
has now become a new favorite go-to because this user-induced error
helped highlight that file's function. It's all good. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *