Re: The Fine Art of Making a Bootable Drive; more

On 8/13/14, Martin G. McCormick <martin@server1.shellworld.net> wrote:
> I am the one who posted stating that I can't seem to make a
> bootable new hard drive for my Linux Squeeze system. It's been
> quoted, "It ain't what you don't know that will hurt you, but
> what you know that just ain't so." I think I am in that
> territory now. What I have been doing was to format the new
> active partition (sda1) with ext4 or ext3, using the rest of the
> drive space as extended primary Partition 2 and overwriting with
> a logical Partition 5 for swap.
> 	I then would use rsync to copy all of the old drive
> including special files to the new drive and one could see /dev
> and all hard links to initrd.gz where they should be. The final
> step which seems to be the kiss of death is to use grub-install
> on the rescue disk to put a MBR on /dev/sda.
> 	I never got this to work. Today, I did

Martin, what was the kiss of death? I received one, too, while
installing GRUB2. It installed perfectly in/on the hard drive I was
working from. It asked me if I wanted to install/upgrade a second hard
drive I'd left attached via USB. It seemed harmless enough because
I've been messing around with GRUB, felt comfortable that'd be ok to
do. Told it yes, do install on that one, too.

MAJOR #FAIL.

Via Disk Utility (palimpsest), one partition of that secondary hard
drive is now reflecting a "capacity" of...

18446744 TB (-338,761,326,592 bytes).

The other two partitions alone are reflecting 839GB..... on a 500GB
hard drive. The related error I'm working my way through is:

"Can't have a partition outside the disk!"

So I'm just curious what YOUR idea of "kiss of death" was.. :))

PS The hard drive that worked was where I successfully rsync'd a
partition while I was using it. Booted into it via the USB'd hard
drive and installed GRUB2 into MBR. Getting GRUB2 installed/upgraded
was the only thing I did that caused those whacked out numbers.

That outrageous capacity value ALMOST smells like GRUB2 triggered
something like that 1,000TB sized /proc/kcore virtual file I just
mentioned somewhere the other day.. OR not, I don't know but I'm
working on it to try to find out.

Another oddity was TestDisk is reporting duplicates for all four
partitions as it analyzes the hard drive where a healthy drive only
reflects one entry each for similar. Here's swap as one example:

Current partition structure:
 1 P Linux Swap               0  32 33  1274 241 55   20480000
 1 P Linux Swap               0  32 33  1274 241 55   20480000

Cindy

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *