Brother color laser MFC [was: Re: (HP's) Buggy power]

On 09/11/2014 10:25 AM Robert Heller wrote:
At Thu, 11 Sep 2014 08:51:59 -0400 CentOS mailing list
<centos@centos.org> wrote:

On 09/10/2014 08:46 AM Bonno Bloksma wrote:
Hi,

In need of a new printer, having done a bit or research, and
considering either the Canon PIXMA mg5420  or the HP Photo
Smart 7520.

HP has drifted to the 'bottom' when it comes to printer quality. HP
is now making 'junk' printers (at least in terms of inkjets). HP also
has policy of pretty much no-questions-asked replacement (in the
warrantry period) -- I think they know their printers are junk and
fully expect them to fail before then end of the warrantry period.
*I* finally convinced the library director at the local library to
give up on HP OfficeJunk MFCs (the first one lasted just over one
year, and the second about 10 months, and its replacement about a
month, and its replacement a few weeks, and its replacement a week
or so, ... after five replacements we ended up with one that lasted
to a few months beyond the 90 warrantry period of the replacement)
and get a Brother color laser MFC. The initial cost is a bit higher,
but the library is no longer being nickel and dimed to death buying
ink carts and the Brother printer, just works and works and is not
being out of order every few months (or weeks or even days).

Thanks for the post, Robert. I've been hearing here and elsewhere so much about the many problems with HP printers that I'm taking them out of consideration. I've never owned a Brother printer, just three Epsons, the last of which was a PITA to always be feeding ink to. It's not just the ink's cost; it's a considerable hassle to be printing something, have the ink run out, have to phone and drive to buy more ink, then reprint from where the previous job failed.

Still, I need a good scanner with a sheet feeder and a couple times a year I need to fax something. So an "all-in-one" machine makes practical sense for me.

Can you say the model of that Brother laser MFC you mentioned?

Thanks again.