Re: How does exec work with systemd?

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 07:07:43 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 09:19:19PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > For years, I've been using exec to replace a shellscript with a
> > binary executable. Something like this:
> > Is that behavior going to change with systemd?
>
> No.

This is excellent news, because it means I can take a lot of my
daemons out of systemd's control and put them in the control of djb's
Daemontools, which, in my opinion, is a better way to run, control,
and inspect daemons than any init system I've ever seen.

The only thing is, Daemontools has no way of telling it which order to
load things, so, for instance, I'll need to load the dns server
before  Dovecot and Apache, so the dns server will continue to be
loaded by the init system.

Daemontools is an outstanding system, and I think everyone should have
at least a passing familiarity with it.

SteveT