Re: Forewarned is forearmed

On 08/09/14 04:06 PM, Joe wrote:
On Mon, 8 Sep 2014 15:43:46 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Just a heads up, in case your Wheezy machine acts like my Wheezy
machine...

My Wheezy machine doesn't run the loopback device lo on reboot. This
means I can't access my local Dovecot server. I reboot so seldom I
always forget this.

So if you're getting all sorts of wierd errors after reboot, I suggest
you do a /sbin/ifconfig, and if lo or eth0 aren't running, I suggest
you do as root:

ifdown eth0
ifdown lo
ifup lo
ifup eth0

Note that the ifup eth0 will error out if the ifdown didn't take down
a running eth0, and that's not a problem: Ignore the error.

If another ifconfig reveals a running and connected eth0 and lo, then
try everything again, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

That does appear to be a genuine, gold-plated bug. I have a wheezy
server which gets booted every couple of months, and has various
services which connect via lo e.g. POP3 download to SMTP. I've
never seen an lo problem. I don't believe it has any fancy network
management.

It's not happening on any of the wheezy/64 servers I'm administering.