Re: Make n-m not touch WWAN

On 9/5/2014 7:24 PM, Bzzzz wrote:
On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 19:12:32 -0700
Matt Ventura<mattventura@mattventura.net>  wrote:

I'll probably file a bug report somewhere about this, but in the
meantime, is there a way to just get it to ignore the card? Or does
enabling mobile broadband in the menu activate the card without really
doing anything? I don't want it using any unnecessary cpu/mem/power
compared to before the update that broke this.

Ace Ventura

You can fill a bug if you want, but I don't think it one.

The problem is the MODEM is apparently not dissociable
from the GPS.  If it is really so, you're stuck.

They're dissociable in that they share a control channel
(ttyUSB0 = control, ttyUSB1 = data, ttyUSB2 = GPS output) and they
share the rfkill.

However, before some update at some point (I don't know where
exactly because ironically I used to have my rc.local rfkill the
card to save some battery life since I didn't need GPS), n-m
would allow me to leave the card in that state where I don't
"Mobile Broadband" in the menu is disabled, but it didn't rfkill
the card. If having MB enabled but not connected to any network
does exactly the same thing, then that would be an acceptable
solution to my problem.

I can live with this regression since it's a bit of a corner case,
but there's definitely at least one bug in all of this: it shouldn't
be removing the option to (re)enable the card because it no longer
sees it.

Matt Ventura