Re: Multiarch apt-get install removes packages?

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 01:21:01PM +0100, Will Payne wrote:
> > Can anyone throw any light on why installing ia32-libs has removed important
> > packages from my server? During a puppet run, puppet ran the command..
> >
> > /usr/bin/apt-get -q -y -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confold install ia32-libs
>
> ia32-libs is NOT multiarch and is deprecated.

Its description is:

    This is a transitional package used to migrate the ia32-libs package to
    true multiarch. It can be removed once nothing on the system depends on it.

    This package requires multiarch to be enabled before it can be installed,
    use "dpkg --add-architecture i386".

It is present in Debian stable for a good reason, and it is not "deprecated"
there, but you need to use it correctly.

It has been removed in testing and unstable, as it is no longer necessary
for Debian Jessie (because we don't support upgrades that skip a stable
release).

  Henrique Holschuh