Re: IPV6 dns server running on IPV4 Connection??

Whoops... should have gone to the list. Sorry about that!

On 9/3/2014 10:48 AM, John Foster wrote:
> I have Verizon as my ISP; of course they don't want or allow the running
> of static addressed servers. However they seem to be ignoring most IPV6
> systems connection. I.E. I can browse IPV6 network connections and my
> router from Verizon has IPV6 settings enabled for both DHCPv6 & Staticv6
> connections. I am wondering if it would be possible to set up bind to
> run on my server with IPV6 initialized and run my server using it as an
> IPV6 static site while they (Verizon) happily use the same IPV4
> installation they are already using. Could this setup coexist on one
> machine. BTW: I am able to set up IPV6 DNS thru Godaddy at their dns
> zone manager for my server, to point to my unique IPV6 address. Only
> issue thereafter is where to get the proper IPV6 unique addres for my
> machine.
> ANY suggestions or comment are greatly appreciated.
> john

Even if you get a unique IPV6 address, Verizon would have to tell the
rest of the internet the routing to your address.  And unless you get it
from Verizon, chances are they aren't going to do it.

Yes, it could coexist on one machine - but ANY IP routing is dependent
on the next machine in the chain passing the routing information on.
Without this, no one (not even someone else on the Verizon network) will
be able to access your IP.

Your best bet is going to be to get an IPV6 address from Verizon.  But
please remember - most internet users (and even many ISPs) are still
using IPV4 only, and will not be able to access your site.

Jerry