Re: Can't reboot nor shutdown

On 02/09/14 10:49 PM, Bzzzz wrote:
Hi list,

on my latptop (lightdm + XFCE) I can't reboot nor shutdown properly;
each command ends with a black screen with a blinking cursor at top
left and that's all. I waited several times more than 5 minutes,
hoping some timeout was there, but nope; stopping with the power
button isn't very good for the HD.

On my SOS system (almost the same setup), where I only login under
root, it works (but the system's not up to date).

The only line I found in /var/log/syslog & messages it this one
(it is the last one before boot log lines):

Sep  3 04:30:07 msi kernel: [239215.267029] cupsd[2445]: segfault at 0
ip 00007f28d5e7bd54 sp 00007fff10207b00 error 4 in
libavahi-client.so.3.2.9[7f 28d5e76000+10000]

Does anybody knows where it could come from? (line above or missing
perms?)
Can't help you with the error message but to shutdown, have you tried the SysRq key? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key for details.

This often gives you all kinds of ways of getting around an otherwise frozen system. It may or may not help in your case, but it's worth a shot.

The usual combination is SysRq + R,E,I,S,U,B (busier backwards) to trigger a safe reboot, but you could substitute the R for O to shut it off.

Note that SysRq is usually a little hard to activate. Most desktops use Ctrl+Alt+SysRq, but with a laptop you may need to use a Fn key.