audio/video sputtering

I had this problem with Jessie and updated to sid. Nothing fixed it. It went into the ditch about the time I was messing around with tmpfs, following some of the advice from a thread a couple of weeks ago. What I am planning to do is a FRESH install to sid. It's drastic, but the sputtering (This is a te-te-te-te-test) is getting to me. If anyone else is experiencing this effect as of late, I'd like to know ...before I have to shoot this dog and re-install. Thanx, Ric