Re: Help: Ubuntu 12.04LTS/14.04LTS PXE/netboot/preseed - does not initiate installation

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 3:10 AM, Snow Leopard
<snow.leopard.deb@gmail.com> wrote:

> I stumbled on a problem with Ubuntu installation PXE/netboot/preseed.
>
> OS: Ubuntu 12.04LTS/14.04LTS
>
> I have setup for DHCP/TFTP/NFS which allows me to boot over network "Live
> Ubuntu" and everything works as it should.
>
> Next logical step would be automatic installation by utilizing "preseed"
> file. And here I hit a snag -- Ubuntu copies the file but I do not see any
> attempt to start installation (search on internet give multiple examples and
> most of them look alike but do not work in my case).

> Found 2 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 1 signatures
> W: Skipping nonexistent file /cdrom/dists/precise/main/binary-i386/Packages
> W: Skipping nonexistent file
> /cdrom/dists/precise/restricted/binary-i386/Packages

(There's an ubuntu-users list for Ubuntu questions.)

Are you sure that an Ubuntu Live DVD can be used for preseeding? I've
never seen it before but maybe it is...

Your problem MIGHT be that it finds "indexes" but doesn't find
"Packages", if "indexes" are indeed "Packages.gz".

>From a loop-mounted 14.04.1 Live DVD:

# find . -name "*Packages*"
./dists/trusty/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
./dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
./dists/trusty/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
./dists/trusty/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz