apt-get update not downloading Packages.gz|bz2 - trying to load Packages which is not on server

On a wheezy install (basically default from what I can tell), why
would apt-get update try to load Packages file from server when the
server serves Packages.gz and Packages.bz2?

The repo is a http served mirror created with debmirror.

I think I came across this once a few years ago, but for the life of
me I can't google an answer - been trying stackexchange, serverfault,
the debian admin manual, my gmail history and plenty other google
links. My searches (such as the subject line of this email, amongst
many others) are not yet yielding success for me.

TIA
Zenaan