Re: Installing Debian Jessie/testing via debootstrap

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 06:02:37PM +0200, daniele.g wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've installed debian testing from within stable using debootstrap
> (following https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apds03.html). At
> the moment this is my partition table:

>     NAME                           MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
>     sda                              8:0    0 111,8G  0 disk
>     ├─sda1                           8:1    0   243M  0 part /boot
>     ├─sda2                           8:2    0     1K  0 part
>     └─sda5                           8:5    0 111,6G  0 part
>       ├─nostromo-CRUNCHBANG (dm-0) 254:0    0    14G  0 lvm  /
>       ├─nostromo-swap_1 (dm-1)     254:1    0   4,1G  0 lvm  [SWAP]
>       ├─nostromo-DEBIAN (dm-2)     254:2    0    14G  0 lvm  /media/DEBIAN
>       ├─nostromo-LOCAL (dm-3)      254:3    0   9,3G  0 lvm  /usr/local
>       └─nostromo-HOME (dm-4)       254:4    0  70,2G  0 lvm  /home
>
> The boot partition only contains the stable kernel, while the DEBIAN
> partition contains its own kernel. I did *not* install any boot loader
> in it, since I'd want avail of the already existing boootloader.
> What's the proper way to add the testing entry to the GRUB menu? Running
> "update-grub" in the host distro does not work.

If the host distro uses GRUB1, you'll need to edit /boot/grub/grub.lst
and add a menuentry section to boot Debian.

If the host distro uses GRUB2, then see if it uses the 'os-prober'
functionality (and whether that is installed). Basically, the Debian way
to manage Grub2 is to automatically build the grub menu by calling on a
number of scripts in /etc/grub.d/, one of which calls the os-prober
program to examine all the partitions on the system. Your host distro
may do things differently, though, so you may find more success talking
to the support channels for THAT distro.

You seem to have done all you need to have done from the Debian side of
things, though.