Re: Gnome for jessie

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 22:57:17 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat 16 Aug 2014 at 21:32:23 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> > > fvwm is wonderful, but not likely to make it into d-i. Back in
> > > 1996 it was a default (on Red Hat at least). How times change.
> > >
> > > Here's an idea: Why not give users a choice (if they want it)
> > > after they have installed the OS? Or even before? Installation of
> > > a desktop environment shouldn't be obligatory.
> >
> > It isn't.
>
> Do you mean that you can actually install what you want either before
> or after installing Debian. But that would mean you don't get to moan
> about GNOME if you have to think about what you are doing. :)

So Lisi's ironometer is turned off today. And we *always* get to moan
about Gnome, it's in the contract.

More seriously, if you 'improve' your product to attract new customers,
it's always well to try not to alienate your existing ones.

Microsoft seems to be very slow to learn that lesson, but they very
quickly 'adjusted' Windows 8 to be usable by people for whom
podgy-finger-on-smeared-screen didn't cut the mustard.

--
Joe