Re: systemd fails to poweroff - "A stop job is running for Session 2 of user $USER"

On 8/13/14, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
>> The last message is:
>> "A stop job is running for Session 2 of user me"
>>
>> Red asterisks (up to 3) appear to oscillate at left
>> edge in an ascii "wait for me" animation.

"eye of cylon" (thanks to who mentioned that)

> Have you waited at least 90 secs, which is the default timeout?

No, I shall make sure I do, next time I reboot.

But you know what my immediate next question would
then be regardless: how can I stop the 90s from occurring?

I tried CTRL-C, that did not work.

I tried CTRL-ALT-F2, and that was just a blank screen (although again,
perhaps I didn't wait long enough - I shall do so next time, to make
sure, I thought I did and that consoles were no longer starting, but
I'll wait a good minute or two next time).

Also for the record I tried these things before starting this thread:

0) apt-get dist-upgrade

1) Reboot, then log in at console, then sudo poweroff.
This 'worked'.

2) Reboot, console log in, then "startx" - actually this function 'se'
I put into my env, pursuant to help from helpful people on this list a
while back:
se=() {
 local tty_num=$(tty | grep -oE '[0-9]+$');
 startx -- -logverbose 7 vt$tty_num &> /var/tmp/my_xorg.log;
 exit
}
and then XFCE gui 'logout'.
This worked, now back at console login prompt, log in, sudo poweroff.
This worked.

3) Finally, similar to 2), but XFCE gui 'poweroff' (instead of logout).
This worked.

So it seems there's something during my sessions which is failing to
stop properly when shutting down.

I really only run xterms, firefox and occasionally vlc, and sometimes
suspend (not hibernate).

I guess I should see if startx (xfce), suspend, unsuspend, poweroff
produces the problem.

Will get back to the list next time I reboot.

Thanks,
Zenaan