Re: systemd fails to poweroff - "A stop job is running for Session 2 of user $USER"

Am Dienstag, 12. August 2014, 17:48:10 schrieb Michael Biebl:
> Am 12.08.2014 17:16, schrieb Hugo Vanwoerkom:
> > Right.  Debian Sid. 'halt' does not poweroff with systemd.
>
> Well, yeah. halt is not supposed to power off your system.

Interestingly in the last ten years I have used "halt" exactly to power off a
machine, when not using a desktop mechanism.

On all systems with working ACPI I tried this on it did so. On those where
ACPI is broken, it sometimes did not power off the machine.

merkaba:~> ls -l /sbin/halt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18776 Aug  3 21:01 /sbin/halt
merkaba:~> ls -l /sbin/poweroff
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Aug  3 21:01 /sbin/poweroff -> halt

So it differentiates behavior on command name?

The manpage for halt is more than unclear on the exact semantics.

I´d prefer clear commands with clear definitions of their behavior instead of
guess work – will it call shutdown? or not.

I like "System Commands" in systemctl manpage regarding this. Yet also this is
just saying halt or power off. But if the english meaning of the words give
exact this difference, so well. In my understanding there never was much of a
difference between halt and poweroff.