Re: Egad stumped by fetchmail ...

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> On Mon 11 Aug 2014 at 11:25:52 -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> AW <debian.list.tracker@1024bits.com> writes:
>>
>> > On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 09:01:07 -0400
>> > Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >  > Fetchmail is never a problem... and yet:
>> >  > I've been moving my main work host, (Debian jessie), to a vm running on a
>> >  > windows hosts.
>> >
>> > Did you ensure the fetchmail daemon is running?
>> >
>> > ps -A |grep fetchmail
>> >
>> > It's possible you will need to enable the service daemon...
>> >
>> > sudo systemctl enable fetchmail
>> >
>> > in order for it to start on host boot.
>>
>> I don't use the daemon. And the fact that a connection is being made
>> should indicate it has nothing to do with the daemon... no?
>>
>> I've always run fetchmail either from cron or manually.
>>
>> There is no daemon running on the other machine where all seems to be
>> in order either.
>>
>> And yet something seems to be causing the verbose setting to produce
>> insufficient output on the new host.
>
> Time to go back to basics.
>
>    brian@desktop:~$ telnet pop.newsguy.com pop3
>    Trying 74.209.136.72...
>    Connected to pop.newsguy.com.
>    Escape character is '^]'.
>    +OK Qpopper (version 4.0.14) at jorel.newsguy.com starting.
>    user itsme
>    +OK Password required for itsme.
>    pass password1
>    -ERR [AUTH] Password supplied for "itsme" is incorrect.
>    +OK Pop server at jorel.newsguy.com signing off.
>    Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> At a successfull login you can use commands like "list", "retr 1", "dele 3".

I'm afraid I have been screeching wolf when its only a very small
kitten.

Apparently, my mail is being retrieved... but in total silence.. or
nearly so and I was dumb enough not to catch on for a bit.

I guess the only part left unanswered then is why is fetchmail quiet
when I've told it to be verbose.... but I think what I'm seeing on the
other machine is actually the smtp conversation being reported by
fetchmail so that is what is not happening on the other host perhaps.

Here is a tiny bit:

Old host:
fetchmail -vvac

[...]
  fetchmail: POP3< +OK Qpopper (version 4.0.14) at jorel.newsguy.com starting.
  fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
  fetchmail: POP3< +OK Capability list follows
  fetchmail: POP3< TOP
  fetchmail: POP3< USER
  fetchmail: POP3< LOGIN-DELAY 0
  fetchmail: POP3< EXPIRE NEVER
[...]

New host:

harry > fetchmail -vvac
 fetchmail: Old UID list from pop.newsguy.com: <empty>
 fetchmail: Old UID list from pop.newsguy.com: <empty>
 fetchmail: Scratch list of UIDs: <empty>

In the second case that is the complete output while in the first case
I've only shown a small snippet of some 40 or so lines.

So, ok, both hosts are running exim4.

The oldhost is running exim4 light, while newhost is running
exim4-heavy.

But still the configuration files look the same.. I'm not seeing a
reason why one is more verbose than the other.