Re: Irony

On 08/10/2014 10:30 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> ... I have a philosophical problem with systemd, I suspect it will
> cause problems, my fallback is OpenBSD (or maybe Debian/kFreeBSD,
> thanks Reco)

For the record, in case anyone is interested, I'm writing this from a
Jessie box without systemd. It's easy to make this happen, and it works
just fine as long as you don't use GNOME or MATE, possibly KDE, or those
functions of other DEs that require a systemd component.

All I did was use aptitude interactively to remove systemd-* and then
review and adjust the solutions as necessary. Nothing broke or caught fire.

I'm not a particular fan nor partisan of systemd. I have used (and
supported) it in the past on various servers. I think systemd-as-default
is wrong for Debian if only because it's Linux-only (and therefore not
Universal) but I do find it good that Debian supports systemd.

I've set up this systemd-less box mostly to show that it can be done. It
can. It's not even difficult.