Re: Towards an instructive minimalist intall of Openbox

On Sun 10 Aug 2014 at 18:03:07 +0100, Joe wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:46:56 -0500
> Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>
> > What should I be reading to understand:
> >    1. what would be minimal set of programs to install?
>
> It depends how enthusiastic you are. I tend to make a netinstall of
> stable (from CD, you don't need the Net until you want to expand the
> system). When the task selection page comes up, I untick everything
> except the system utilities. That will leave me with a non-X
> installation which can be built on. It doesn't contain sudo, which you
> may want, and I also install mc, because I like it. Generally I'm
> aiming for unstable, so I do a dist-upgrade at this point, where a
> minimal amount of time has been wasted in downloading stable packages
> which I'm now throwing away. You presumably would take a different path.

Let's look at what Richard could read if he wants to explore this stage
of the installation. It's a question of installing the system utilities
as opposed to not installing them.

First on the reading list is tasksel(8). Then the output of

   tasksel -t --task-packages standard | less

on an existing Wheezy. The displayed list has a few mentions of exim. On
my MMI (My Minimal Install) du jour I may or may not want an MTA. Or I
may want another one. Note it and pass on.

What's this mlocate? More reading.

   apt-cache show mlocate

Maybe even

   apt-cache rdepends mlocate

Mmm. Not today, thank you.

bash-completion? Looks useful. Note it down for later installation.

less is there. Must have less; cannot do without it. Install later.

And so on through the list. Debian provides the documentation; you
provide the thinking.