Re: Skype substitutes for current Debian?

On Sun 10 Aug 2014 at 14:55:23 -0400, Tom Roche wrote:

> Having recently received the Skype email requiring reinstall with new
> version, I'd like to learn more about available, working substitutes
> for Skype for D7/wheezy, possibly current testing/jessie, and maybe
> even more robust bits of sid. (For brevity, I'll refer to that
> collectively as "D7++".) Particularly I'm interested in the following
> usecase: someone receives request from OP to do an interview by Skype,
> the service with which the OP is most familiar. Are there, e.g.,
>
> 1. Skype-compatible clients for D7++ which could be used to connect
> directly to an OP running Skype?

The Skype network is a network relying on proprietry protocols to access
it. The only software which has the necessary knowledge of those
protocols is the Skype program. There are no Skype-compatible clients
other than what the Skype company provides.

Install the new version and be done with it.