Re: IP Forwarding to Windows machine

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 09:16:05PM -0700, Matt Ventura wrote:
> On 8/8/2014 12:04 AM, Mike McClain wrote:
> >     I've been trying to get my hand rolled iptables firewall to
> >masquerade traffic on the LAN to/from a Win2K box. I've gotten it to
> >the point that I can ping from the boxes both ways, smbclient can move
> >files both ways and the Win2K box can ping Google's IP address but DNS
> >lookup fails even though I've used the same DNS server in the Win2K
> >box as on my Debian box which access the Inet via dialup. IE says
> >"Cannot find server or DNS error."
> >     I've read every HOWTO and the iptables man pages several times but
> >am at a loss.
> >     Suggestions?
> >Thanks,
> >Mike
> Can you post the exact output of the nslookup attempt from the win2k box?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt Ventura

from a zsh prompt:
Mike zsh:~> nslookup
Default Server: resolver1.opendns.com
Address: 208.67.222.222

Didn't return.

from a cmd.exe prompt:
C:\WINNT\system32>nslookup
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 208.67.222.222: Timed out
Default Server: resolver2.opendns.com
Address: 208.67.220.220

Didn't return.

from a bash prompt:
Mike@Win2k:~> nslookup
Address: 208.67.222.222

Didn't return.

I'm quite sure I didn't enter 'resolver1' or 'resolver2' in anything
in Windows so the DNS lookup must have worked to some degree.

Mike
--
"Imagination is looking at a dot in the sky and seeing it as another world
    is looking at the world and seeing it as as just a dot in the sky.