par2

On 08/09/2014 08:11 AM, Gary Dale wrote:
To preserve your archive, I'd advise PAR2 redundancy files to fix any
problems that may crop up. So long as your HD copies are good, you don't
need to go to the PAR2 files, but should one develop a problem, you can
fix it with the PAR2 files. Having 5% to 10% redundancy is a lot cheaper
than RAID1.
You can automate the PAR2 creation by checking for new files and
creating PAR2s for them.

RTFM, it looks like par2 places the parity files in the same directory as the source files. I'd prefer to have them in a parallel tree. For example, if my source files are in /mnt/datadrive/stuff, I'd like the par2 files to be in /mnt/datadrive/.par2/stuff. Is this possible?

David