Re: Mounting a FreeBSD USB Memory Stick Image rw

On 8/9/14, didier gaumet <didier.gaumet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 08/08/2014 22:40, Martin Smith a écrit :
> [...]
>> try mount -t ufs -rw -o ufstype=ufs2,loop
>> FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick-headless.img /mnt
>>
>> specifying ufstype works with bsd disks in the same machine so should
>> hopefully work with yours.
> [...]
>
> I' m a little bit puzzled: have you rebuild your kernel?
> UFS write is still not enabled by default in the kernel (experimental):
>
> didier@hp-dm1:~$ grep UFS_FS_WRITE /boot/config-3.14-2-amd64
> # CONFIG_UFS_FS_WRITE is not set

Gah! Well spotted!

Pity we don't have a generic FUSE module to run -all- filesystems in
userspace (as/when needed), so we could simply toggle 'experimental'
features on easily.

Martin, it looks like you'll have to recompile your kernel first sorry.

* apt-get install linux-source kernel-package

* find appropriate kernel-package man page

* enable UFS write option in kernel config
(although oldconfig/ old-config might need to be spotted)

* run kernel-package build + install command(s)

* reboot, choosing custom kernel

* re-run your mount command.

It's been too long since I've done it (not so much need to custom
kernel compile these days), so I can't really tell you the exact steps
sorry, but I found it pretty easy, "back in the day".

Good luck,
Zenaan