Re: Partitioning of new machine

On 08/08/2014 06:14 AM, B. M. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While I'm waiting for the components of my new machine (testing/jessie)
> I'm thinking about the optimal partitioning scheme which should last for the
> next 10 years :-)
>
> The system looks like:
> Haswell 3.4 GHz
> 8 GB RAM (later upgradeable up to 32 GB)
> 250 GB SSD
> 2 TB HDD
>
> What do you think about the following:
>
> === SSD: ===
> /boot           unencrypted, 300 MB
> /               ext4, encrypted, 25-30 GB
> /home           ext4, encrypted, keyfile, 220-225 GB
>   User data for two users

I would have one / ext4 partition for everything. (You may want a
separate /home, if you plan on reinstalling OS while keeping /home data,
but, on the other hand, one should also have daily backups to get /home
back from.)

If your new system uses EFI, then you'll also need a /boot_efi
partition, 200MiB, FAT32, bootable.

If I had swap, I would put it on SSD.

> === HDD (in this order for performance reasons): ===
> /var            HDD, ext4, encrypted, keyfile, 25 GB
>   It's so large because I want to add a directory /var/src below /var
>   to compile a kernel on the HDD if necessary
>
> /databases      HDD, ext4, encrypted, keyfile, barrier=0, 10 GB
>   Used for the db's of digikam (1 user), akonadi and amarok
>   (2 users each)

With these sizes they would go into SSD /.

> swap            HDD, swapfs, encrypted, 5 GB (not hibernation)
>
> /video          HDD, btrfs, 560 GB
>   Subvolumes:
>     /video/editing
>     /video/series
>   => for video editing or series, no backup, not encrypted
>
> /data           HDD, btrfs, encrypted, keyfile, RAID1 (2 x 700 GB).
>   With subvolumes for digikam archive, movie archive and music

I don't know how much video editing can benefit from btrfs, but for
archives I would use two HDDs, and have btrfs partitions in btrfs-raid1
volume to protect from bit rot (see for example [1]).

Sarunas Burdulis
http://math.dartmouth.edu/~sarunas

1.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/bitrot-and-atomic-cows-inside-next-gen-filesystems/