how to update TexLive 2014, apt-get or tlmgr?

I'm using TexLive 2014 from the jessie repos, and also keeping a
watching brief on "comp.text.tex" where it shows updates to packages as
they occur. I'm interested in the "tcolorbox" and "glossaries" packages
and see that they have recently been updated.

What is the best way of getting the updated packages please? To update
with tlmgr, and then hope that the ~/texmf/tex/latex/foo version
overrides the texlive version, if that’s where they end up?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.92.1