Re: The Fine Art of Making a Bootable Drive

Martin G. McCormick a écrit :
> Tom H writes:
>> Are you mounting "/mnt/{dev,proc,sys}" before chrooting?
>
> No. I did try the mount command after chrooting which successfully ran, but
> didn't fix the missing /dev. I bet this is the crux of the
> problem, however. Mount just mounts everything in /etc/fstab. I
> don't remember if dev is there but /proc is there for sure
> 	When I mount /dev/sdf1 on /mnt and do a ls -l /dev/sda,
> it looks good.
>
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Jul 28 19:09 sda
>
> 	Do I need to mount those befor chrooting?

Yes for /dev. You can mount /proc and /sys after chrooting because they
are virtual filesystems with a special type, but /dev is a real tmpfs
and must be bind-mounted with --bind before chrooting.

> 	The only thing I am concerned about is of course is not
> overwriting the good boot sector on the old drive.:-(

1) Do not use the old drive. Boot from a Debian installation media (CD
or USB) instead and select recovery mode (or whatever name it has) in
the menu.

2) Make sure you know which /dev/sdX device is which drive. If you
mounted /dev/sdf1 on /mnt, then the drive you want to install grub on is
probably /dev/sdf.