Re: The Fine Art of Making a Bootable Drive

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 06:33:35 -0500
"Martin G. McCormick" <martin@server1.shellworld.net> wrote:

 >a working boot sector is that mkfs doesn't do that.

That's correct.  However there is another program called 'makefs' that
will create an image file from a user defined directory tree.  The
'makefs' program is not the long name version of 'mkfs'.  These are
different programs.

If you want to make a boot image, use the 'mkelfimage' program.

So:

#sudo apt-get install makefs mkelfimage

If you look through the man pages, you'll notice that makefs can create
a bootable cd9660 image using a boot image file created using the
mkelfimage program.  Of course, you could download a boot image from
the Debian repos - - but it's probably a better idea to generate a new
one locally from your current kernel configuration.

I've gone through the whole process once or twice, but I really don't
have too much need to generate custom bootable media -- so I've
forgotten some of the details...

Of course, I would highly recommend install virtualbox to test your
bootable cd9660 images.  That saves tons of time, as you don't need to
copy files to an external media and reboot 100 times until you get a
working image...

--Andrew