Re: Retaining Older Kernels After Image Update

On Sunday 03 August 2014 17:10:33 Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 03/08/2014 11:58, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
> > And on my Debian Wheezy system.  I have four kernels, including three
> > from Backports: 3.2, 3.12, 3.13, 3.14.  I have removed 3.10 and 3.11.  I
> > originally installed 3.10 from Backports.
> >
> > Upgrading never seems to remove a kernel and never has.
>
> Don't confuse installing a new kernel (3.2 and 3.12 are different
> kernels, different packages names) and upgrading an installed kernel
> with a new release (same version, same package name, different package
> release versions). Upgrading an installed kernel package replaces it, as
> with any other package. Installing a new kernel does not.

I just run "aptitude update"  "aptitude full-upgrade" and it "upgrades" the
kernel.  I accept your difference - but it may not apply in the same way to
the other distros which were mentioned.  And from my point of view, I just
upgrade.

I have the impression, however, that when other packages are "upgraded" (moved
on to a higher version) the previous package *is* removed.

Lisi