Re: /usr on own filesystem, not already mounted -- yeech!

On Sunday 03 August 2014 08:46:59 Joe wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Aug 2014 09:59:17 +0300
>
> David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> > Started to get this message several times in bootup or maybe was
> > simply not quick enough to catch it before. Everything seems to play.
> >
> > The Debian installer itself will place /usr on it own
> > partition/filesystem. So what gives?
> >
> > Is it now required that /usr be on on part of the root filesystem? If
> > so, easy enough to accomplish. But never needed anything like that
> > before.
>
> My feeling is that it is not a problem yet, for most people, but one
> day it will be. The idea of /usr being a read-only common repository of
> user applications not needed in booting seems to have had its day, and
> it is effectively also being used for system code. I believe the
> discussion about this, as with systemd, is over.

I have no problem with systemd (though, Judging from the mailing list, the
controversy is far from quieting down). Systemd is lightning fast, seems solid
enough. I have been reluctant on upgrades because of outstanding bugs (but
then again, I had routinely upgraded the previous init scheme under similar
circumstance :-)).

The /usr business however ... /usr holds core apps and those optionally
installed by the user. /usr/local has those compiled by the user. Only the
first items could be required resident at boot (if they indeed contain code
needed to boot). This would be a very small portion. Maybe better handled
through a modules.conf idea, into the initrd, or as separate folder.
Generally, past major modifications like this have shown up in apt-listbugs
before showing as disturbing messages at bootup (though I might have missed
these because of bugs in that).

(Note that recent Android--ok, a pretty bastardized "distro"--has separated
its /system/app into /system/app and /system/priv-app).