Re: /usr on own filesystem, not already mounted -- yeech!

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 2:59 AM, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> Started to get this message several times in bootup or maybe was simply not
> quick enough to catch it before. Everything seems to play.
>
> The Debian installer itself will place /usr on it own partition/filesystem. So
> what gives?
>
> Is it now required that /usr be on on part of the root filesystem? If so, easy
> enough to accomplish. But never needed anything like that before.
>
> Also, the initrd is being done with "more." This was given by the installer.
> In the past, I had used "dep" quite successfully, possible with a few entries
> in modules.conf. Faster initial load ........... "More" would seem to imply
> that this /usr business is superfluous.
>
> So what is the answer/recommendation here? I have not updated the 208.6
> systemd and udev packages yet.

Hasn't d-i always defaulted to "most" (not "more") in
"/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf"?

Roger Leigh had a patch to allow mounting "/usr" from the initramfs
but it never made it into "unstable", etc. He'd asked for it to be
installed from his personal repo and tested. IIRC I'd tried it with
with "/usr" mounted as a separate mdraid device and reported to him
that it booted OK. Perhaps there wasn't much interest in doing this so
he moved to other things.