Re: Retaining Older Kernels After Image Update

On Sat, Aug 02, 2014 at 12:11:43PM -0400, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
> [ Wheezy;  3.2.0-4-amd64 ]
>
> I've noticed that when I upgrade a kernel image, the prior one appears
> to be removed.  So, at any time there is only one kernel image in /boot.

Updates are different to a new package install. On a new kernel install,
the old kernel is not removed.

You might be getting confused by a security *upgrade* and a new kernel
install. Also be aware that stable does not install *new*

> Just in case (unlikely I know) a new kernel has "problems", I'd like to
> retain, say, the last three prior images in /boot.  Other *nix systems
> required me to manually delete unneeded images ...

Weird. So on these systems there are old packages which haven't been
removed by the package manager?

Look at the kernel as just another package as far as dpkg/APT are
concerned.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X