Re: Problem with Debian 7.5 i386 lxde LIVE ISO and Brasero

On 12/07/2014, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/07/2014, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have downloaded the file
>> debian-live-7.5.0-i386-lxde-desktop.iso
>> and tried to write it to a DVD (type DVD-R), using Brasero, and it
>> does not work.
>>
>> With the "Burning Disc" dialogue box, it states that it has written
>> 2%, then goes to an "ejecting medium" message, then a dialogue box
>>
>> "
>> Error while burning.
>>
>> SCSI error on write(14096,16): [5 21 02] Invalid address
>> "
>>
>> Whilst I can not copy and paste text from the "Image Burning Setup"
>> dialogue box, when I retry with a DVD to which it would not write the
>> image, the text in the dialogue box, includes
>> "Please replace the disc with a supported CD or DVD", so I assume that
>> the DVD's are being denatured (having faulty writes so that they
>> cannot be used)
>>
>> Is the ISO image faulty?
>>
>> I have not experienced this problem before, and, this has now happened
>> with three consecutive DVD's from a pack of ten, and I have previously
>> written ISO images including for the Debian 7.5 amd64 lxde, that have
>> successfully booted, so the one variant that is involved for the
>> failed DVD writes, is the ISO image.

<snip>

> Clarification:
> The last paragraph above;
>
>> I have not experienced this problem before, and, this has now happened
>> with three consecutive DVD's from a pack of ten, and I have previously
>> written ISO images including for the Debian 7.5 amd64 lxde, that have
>> successfully booted, so the one variant that is involved for the
>> failed DVD writes, is the ISO image.
>
> should have been
>
>> I have not experienced this problem before, and, this has now happened
>> with three consecutive DVD's from a pack of ten, and I have previously
>> written ISO images including for the Debian 7.5 amd64 lxde, that have
>> successfully booted,
> from the same pack of blank DVD's,
> so the one variant that is involved for the
>> failed DVD writes, is the ISO image.

IHello.

Thank you to those who replied with assistance.

However, I now believe that I got the source of the problem wrong, and
I believe that the problem is kind of solved.

I had downloaded, after the above, the ISO images for the 7.6.0 live
LXDE amd 64 and i386 systems, and, copied them to a USB drive (after
ruining about half a dozen blank DVD's, but not with these two
particular ISO files), and, used that in a laptop, and wrote to blank
DVD's in the laptop, without any problem., I have then used the i386
one, to boot on my celeron laptop, an HP/Compaq NX5000, to test the
writing of the ISO file to the DVD, and, it kind of booted okay (the
only way that it would boot, was with the 486 option, and, not with
the 686 option, and I believe the Celeron to be a 686 based Celeron,
but, I may be wrong).

So, in short, the problem appears to have been that the DVD drive in
my "desktop" workstation has suddenly failed (I have not encountered a
CD or DVD drive, failing, before this, that I remember - maybe floppy
drives, and Hard Disk Drives, but, not cd or DVD drives).

What alerted me to the possibility, was when I tried to play a video
DVD borrowed from our local public library, in my "desktop"
workstation, and it would not play it.

The problem is, as said, "kind of" solved, as have not replaced the
optical disk drive in the computer, and, probably will not, as the
design of the computer, is lousy for modifying the computer, unlike
the IBM PS/2 architecture, that was a pleasure to work with (slide
components out, slide in their replacements, all easily accessible);
this one seems to need an electronics engineer, to do anything with
its components.

I have not inserted "SOLVED" into the subject line of this message,
as, in gmail, and, I assume, other similarly thread-based mail
viewers, such an addition of a word in the subject field, is regarded
as a different thread, and, leaving the subject field as it is,
appends this message to the thread to which it relates.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."