Re: Finding a replacement for my ISP's smtp server

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 02:56:40PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Mon 28 Jul 2014 at 14:02:29 +0200, Slavko wrote:
>
> > Dňa Sun, 27 Jul 2014 13:02:18 +0100 Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>
> > napísal:
> >
> > > He could check with nc.
> > >
> > >   brian@desktop:~$ nc smtp.gmail.com 25
> > >   220 mx.google.com ESMTP 19sm41008233wjz.3 - gsmtp
> > >

> > AFAIK, the port 25 have to used only for (inter-) servers connections,
> > the clients have connect via 587, the port 25 for client connections is
> > for backward compatibility only.
>
> How does the server tell the difference between talking to another
> server (which is acting as client) and what you call a "client"?

I have found a script on the web that makes Mutt into a work-alike
substitute for Thunderbird. I don't like it, but it is a start at
getting what I once had. The script has at least one undocumented
Mutt command and other curiosities which I want to resolve before
I feel comfortable with my new situation. I already know that gmail
uses (and publishes for others to use) several different port numbers.
I haven't yet determined whether the different numbers are because
they have changed there interface over time or they simply intend
to support all of them. But, for now, I am in the much happier condition
of tweeking a new toy, than the recent past where I was unable to
reply to email without going through so much pain that I couldn't
remember what I wanted to say by the time I could key in my message.
The script that I found uses 587, but a different sript that I
found (and didn't work) uses 465. If this email gets to the
debian-user list, and gets properly connected to the thread that is
being quoted, the problem is Solved. I think I have even got gmail
to masquerade as my old email address. We shall see.

Thanks to all,
Best regards,

--
Paul E Condon