Re: no display manager for 3 days

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 10:37:34 +0000
Alan Simpson-Vlach <asimpson-vlach@laurelschool.org> wrote:

> Ever since a dist-upgrade that installed systemd and removed
> sysvinit-core, I have been unable to get a display manager. I have
> tried slim, lightdm, and even installed gdm3.  Nothing works.
>
> # /etc/init.d/slim/start
>
> gives no error messages, but
>
> # systemctl status slim.service
>
> tells me that slim exited with status=1
>
> The pertinent line appears to be
>
> /usr/bin/X11/X: symbol lookup
> error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so: undefined symbol:
> LoadExtension
>
> which is similar to what happens if I try xinit directly.
>
> Trying lightdm I get
>
> lightdm.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
>
> I think this is a systemd problem, but maybe it's a video driver
> problem? I'm using the proprietary nvidia driver, which has been
> recompiled multiple times now. Help, please.  I'd kinda like to have
> a working X11 again.

Hi Alan,

I can't help you with the root cause, because I know less about
systemd than I know of the plant life at the North Pole, but if it
were me, for the time being, I'd just do the workaround and use
startx. You put your window manager in .xinitrc, and then from the
command prompt, as a normal user, type "startx".

Here's my .xinitrc for Openbox:

exec /usr/bin/openbox-session

Here's a little humor to make you feel a little better: One of the
reasons I transitioned my daily driver desktop from Ubuntu to Debian is
so I would never have to use lightdm (or any of the other *dm's)
again. :-)

I'd imagine pretty soon your problem will fix itself on an update, and
you can go back to lightdm. But in the meantime, you can still do X.

HTH,

SteveT