Re: Debian Wheezy additional IP through Gnome-network-manager

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 6:18 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 4:20 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> for some reason i need to assign an additional IP to My LAN. which i did
>>> from Gnome-network-manager but ipconfig doesn't show the new IP, i even
>>> "server networking restart" which didnt help. i dont want to restart my
>>> computer for this small task. i want this to be done with out restart.
>>
>> I assume that you can't see the new ip address when you use ifconfig
>> not ipconfig.
>>
>> Forget about ifconfig, use "ip addr" (or "ip a").
>
> Thanks for the correction "ifconfig"
>
> Thanks for the tip TOM.
>
> instead of "ip addr" command is there anyway i can use network-manger and
> /etc/network/interfaces at the same time. actually what changes i made in
> network Manger does not reflect in interfaces file. both have their pros and
> cons so i do wana use both options.

You're welcome.

I wasn't saying that you should use "ip" to set up an address but to check it.

NM will use the ifupdown settings in "/etc/network/interfaces" to
bring up and set up an interface (although I'm not sure that it'll
know to assign two ip addresses to one interface that way) if you
change "managed=false" to "managed=true" in the "[ifupdown]" section
of "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf". But NM won't change the
settings in "/etc/network/interfaces".