Re: unable to upgrade kernel

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 09:25:51 -0400 (EDT), François Patte wrote:

> I don't understand the following:
>
> # apt-get install linux-image-3.14-0.bpo.1-amd64 linux-headers-3.14-0.bpo.1-amd64
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  linux-image-3.14-0.bpo.1-amd64 : Breaks: initramfs-tools (< 0.110~)
> but 0.109.1 is to be installed
>                                   Breaks: initramfs-tools:i386 (< 0.110~)
>
> What exactly is the problem about initramfs:
>
> # apt-cache show initramfs-tools
>
> Package: initramfs-tools
> Version: 0.109.1

The problem is that the kernel you want to install requires a newer
version of initramfs-tools than the one you currently have installed,
but apt-get cannot upgrade to a newer version of initramfs-tools.

Since you are trying to install a 3.14 kernel from backports, I assume
that you are running wheezy.  You need to install the initramfs-tools
package from wheezy-backports too, version 0.115~bpo70+1, I think.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :