Synaptic messed up

I had an orange triangle show up where the upstate square usually shows.  I clicked on it and got the following messages.

Error message:

Fetch failed: W:Failed to fetch ftp://debian.cites.illinois.edu/pub/debian/dists/wheezy/updates/main/source/Sources Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. '

, W:Failed to fetch ftp://debian.cites.illinois.edu/pub/debian/dists/wheezy/updates/contrib/source/Sources Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. '

, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I opened synaptic and received the following:

E: The value 'stable-updates' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources

E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

 I have no idea what the problem is.  It doesn't matter which of the U.S. sites I pick I get the same messages.  I deleted synaptic and re-installed it from the apt-get command line but it is still there.  Although today I did get a security update that worked just fine.

 Any thoughts on what I should do to fix this?
 Thank you.