Re: ntp problem

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

start ntpd with the '-g' option to fix that (add it to /etc/default/ntp).

  That doesn't work, as this option was already in use.

We used to apply drift correction (stored in /etc/adjtime) when we still ran
hctosys / systohc during system boot/shutdown (refer to
/etc/init.d/hwclock*).  I am unsure whether we still run that properly.

So, if you cannot live with the "ntpd -g" skip on boot/resume, you'll likely
have to set up the adjtimex package manually, and configure the hwclock
package (also manually).

  I found the following recommendation in the adjtimex man. I'll try it

   hwclock can be used to approximately correct for a constant drift in the
   hardware clock.
   In this case, "hwclock --adjust" is run occasionally.
   The user needs to set the time with "hwclock --set" several times
   over the course of a few days so hwclock can estimate the drift rate.
   during that time, ntpd should not be running After you have run
   "hwclock --set" for the last time, it's okay to start ntpd.

Anyway, the fact that this problem appeared just a few days ago on a machine running since about 5 years seems indicate a hardware problem (battery?)

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel